Thursday, December 15, 2005

Ridin' in a $175,000 Hummer


Last night as I was putting off getting on the treadmill until the very last second, an H1 pulls into my driveway. WHO IN THE....I'm thinking as my neighbor zips the window down.

He comes in and has a beer with me and allows me to ask all of the questions that a person driving a $25,000 car asks. SigOth comes in also wondering "Who in the..." and takes a seat. After a few, we need more beer.

Yes, we did. We all pile up into that big thing and hit the road. I'm wondering where my adult sensibilities are? I only wondered those things like, 'What if we get caught?" and "What if we have a wreck?" for a split second and decide to let loose and enjoy the ride. I have no ID on me, nothing to tell someone who I am.

It was fun. Powerful, even. To have no responsibility when you're usually the one that is sitting in that seat. If we have a wreck, I'll be the girl that wanders off into the woods along the interstate and finds her way home another way.

We made the loop down the pike, off the interstate at the next exit, to the beer store...and then a little diversion to see what this thing can do. Okay, the first thing we did was park on the sidewalk by the liquor store. I laughed out loud. I'm a teenager.

Then he pulls into my family's business center to do God knows what. I said, "Not HERE!" and we go to the next lot up. Did I mention that there's a 4' embankment that we climbed with no effort? Then we did the 60 degree turn. Amazing. The army guys must have a BALL in that thing. It was just like theirs except white with the kids that stole it inside.

I'm such a wild child.

Today, I'm 40 again.

But last night, I was 16!

No comments: