Friday, December 07, 2007

Ocean's Depths Dichroic Bracelet in .925 Silver

Dichroic glass was developed by Nasa and transmits one color while reflecting another. Here's a little info from Kincaid Designs for the geeks:

A glass which contains ultra-thin layers of aluminum, chromium, silicon, zirconium or the metal alloy titanium. The colors are almost holographic in appearance. Metallic oxides are bonded to the glass using an electron bombarder inside a vacuum chamber under strict laboratory conditions. Once the coating has adhered to the glass, it is fired in a kiln to make it permanent. The angle of the glass within the vacuum chamber determines the color. In actuality, there is no color produced. What you are seeing is pure light manipulation at it's finest.The appearance will be different depending on whether the light is reflected or transmitted.

As requested by Doggy, here's a pic of the only Dichroic Bracelet I've ever made. I've never put this one up for sale, since I thought it was lovely and I might not make another. But time has come to get back to the kiln.

It's comprised of eleven dichroic cabachons (about the size of a woman's pinky print) on a .925 silver bracelet. Brand new, never worn...only admired from afar and going for half-price at $75.



Thank you all for your kind words. You'll never know how much you've inspired and motivated me. I actually WANT to get back to my big, hot kiln. This hasn't happened in a long time. I've associated it with a difficult time in my life. No need to avoid the kiln any longer. It's not the kiln's fault. And it does bring me such joy. I love working with glass!

I'll put up pics of the remainder of my inventory soon in case anyone is interested in getting their holiday shopping done without leaving their easy chair.

16 comments:

Jay said...

That's really beautiful. Can't wait to see the rest of your stuff.

MrRyanO said...

That is AWESOME!

Although, please refrain from using such big words please. My head hurts...

I mean Dichroic, Cabachons, and "glass" for example... LOL

Seriously that is a very cool piece!

Who knew that you were so into pure light manipulation at its finest!

Leighann said...

That's beautiful! I'm with Jay, can't wait to see more!

pssst, hey Rockdog, I skim over the big words! :D

Anonymous said...

I will go on record saying I just received some of your work and it is BEE-U-TEE-FUL!!! What a great highlight to my weekend!

If only I had the cleavage to bury the one treasure in! (The pink one.) *L*

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful piece of art and I would always hold onto that one if I were you...but please return to the kiln, make more!!!

You're being tagged sweetie, come to my blog for the game.

Lisa Ryan said...

That is gorgeous! I would have to agree, return to the kiln and make more.

Thanks for the link in your post to Kincaid Designs, I have a friend who loves blown glass. Now I have a new idea for next year's Hanukkah gift.

Have a great day.

Schmoop said...

Very Nice...I just hope you don't suffer the same tragic fate of Fawn Lebowitz in National Lampoon's Animal House. Cheers!!

Dana said...

I guess I should have modeled sooner, although the bracelet wouldn't have been as much fun!

Seriously, go back to doing what you love and replace those bad times with some newly developed good ones!

Jay said...

you made that?!
its beautiful!

Anonymous said...

That glass is gorgeous as is the bracelet!

buffalodick said...

I like your jewelry, and your scientific explanation on how it became jewelry! I made a clay ashtray in third grade once.... That's all I got.

Aunt Jackie said...

I'm speechless that's a breathtaking piece of jewelry! I love your work.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods...

Jeff B said...

That's an increadible piece and I'll bet it's even more stunning in person.

Be one with your kiln grasshopper!

captain corky said...

Very nice!

After reading this post I suddenly have an urge for some Astronaut Ice Cream. Does anyone know if the Smithsonian's open yet? ;)

Christo Gonzales said...

beautiful jewelry....I cant wait to see more

Michelle said...

That is gorgeous!! I am so jealous, I have ALWAYS wanted to learn to work with glass. Just BEAUTIFUL!